Use Datum to create and place associative datum symbols to the drawing view on a surface that appears as a linear or circular edge to identify datum planes in the part:
- Click .
- Enter the necessary label in the dialog.
- Click to select an edge of a part view and drag away from the edge to establish the datum line.
- Click to set the datum symbol.
While moving the mouse, you'll notice thin, red, dashed lines as the cursor passes near other entities. These are inferencing lines that you are able to align the dimension to; simply click when you see the line appear to align the dimension to that line.
Click on the datum you want to style, then click the Styles panel icon on the right side of the page:
Edit the Font, Text height, Color, and Datum size:
- Click .
- Click Datum target.
- Select a shape for the target from the Target area dropdown.
- Select a Style for the target callout from the dropdown.
- For circle and rectangle target areas, specify the Area size:
- Circle: Specify the diameter.
- Rectangle: Specify the side lengths.
- Click to place the target on the drawing.
- Click again to place the target callout.
- Change the target Label, if necessary. Adding additional targets of the same size and shape will increment the label digit (A2, A3, A4, etc.). Adding targets with a different size or shape will increment the label letter (B1, C1, D1, etc).
- Click the Precision dropdown(s) to specify the precision for the datum target.
- Click to place the target origin. The exact location of the target will be determined relative to this origin point.
- Specify the Target location, X-Position, and Y-Position for the target in the Datum dialog.
- Use the X and Y arrow buttons to change the orientation of the target relative to the origin.
- Continue adding as many targets of the same size and style to the drawing.
- Click the checkmark to close the Datum dialog.
- You can drag a datum to another location after placement: click to select it, then drag.
- You can drag a datum closer to or farther away from its placement point on the drawing and the extension line adjusts appropriately.
- You can group datums with callouts. See Callout (Balloon) for more information.
- You can associate a datum with a dimension extension line:
- To change the label, click to select the datum, then double-click in the highlighted square:
The datum dialog opens and you can change the label. You can also change the triangle in the properties setting for all arrowheads through the Properties panel, Annotations tab, Arrowhead setting.