Viewing Revision History and Obsoleting Parts
This functionality is available on Onshape's browser, iOS, and Android platforms.
There are times in a Release process when you need to view the revision history of an object and there may also be times when you need to make an object obsolete.
The Onshape obsoletion workflow is illustrated in the company account settings, under Release management:
Access to viewing Revision History and also Obsoleting a part are both available through the context menu on an object (part in a Parts list, Assembly or Drawing tab):
- Right-click the part or tab. (On iOS or Android platform, tap the Assembly tab for an Assembly or the overflow menu next to a part in the Parts list of a Part Studio for a released part.)
- Select Revision history. The Revision history dialog opens:
- This dialog lists all the revisions of the selected part or object. The details provided include:
- Revision label (B and A as shown above, top to bottom) - Each time the object is released, a new revision label is applied or specified (alphabetically, not reusing any skipped labels in the sequence) and the previous revision is automatically obsoleted
- The user who created the Release
- The Release name provided
- The date the revision was released
- The version of the document in which the release was released
- An icon to indicate an obsolete revision, with the opportunity to click View obsoletion
- A button to export the entities involved in the release; this opens the Export dialog box. See Exporting Files for more information on exporting.
- You can click View release to open the Review release dialog, described in Reviewing, Approving, Rejecting Candidates.
- Use Obsolete revision to open the Obsolete dialog to mark a revision as obsolete:
If the release was a mistake and you wish to reuse the revision label for the next release of the item, check the box Mark revision as re-releasable. Checking this box allows you to obsolete this revision of this item and re-use the revision label for the next release of the same item.
- Supply the required information. Click Submit if an approver's email is supplied, otherwise click Obsolete to directly mark the object revision as obsolete, removing it from production and preventing anyone from including that revision in any other release.
If the Mark revision as re-releaseable option is not checked when the item was obsoleted, an administrator can override the option to make the revision re-releaseable.
An email notification and a notification within Onshape is sent to the required approver and the user initiating the obsoletion.
To see that it's been obsoleted, reopen the Revision history for the object (right-click on the object). The icon, , indicates the item has been obsoleted. If the obsoletion was automatic (caused by a re-release of an existing revision), this icon also appears.
Obsoleted revisions are never available for insertion into an Assembly or Drawing, so they are never shown in those dialogs.
If an Assembly or a Drawing contains a referenced Part from a revision that was obsoleted, when a new Release candidate is created the following warning is displayed: